Times have taken to me places that as a boy I would only know from an obscure BBC2 documentary, and lo and behold - I am in those cities, I am in some remote town with some claim to fame. And yet the truth should be told, to relate an anecdote - a dinner party in foreign climes of new would-be friends, foreigners thrown together, pleasantries exchanged in english and pidgin english. handshakes amongst the apperitifs, kisses in the air with mostly strangers and the drinking water had bubbles. The conversation turns to swapping passport stamps, a lady enthused of a city where I had 'been there, done that' on a fleeting business journey, how she had heard how beautiful this European capital was, the rivers, the museums, the avenues, the...how she had wished whatever and she asked my opinion. I noted the hotel room had nice wallpaper. I was a little rude, methinks in hindsight, and lost another would-be friend; but yet that was the truth of jet set life, it sometimes was not so jet-set, been there and not done that. My jet set life was an A-X guide of hotel rooms, taxis and conference room facilities.
The Y-Z guide were for the 5 star hotels.
Saturday, 25 July 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment