Friday, 16 March 2012

Not taking one for the Team

Suddenly I appear to be a relic of an older generation, a dinosaur. There is a fear of restructuring, a rumored clearout, there is a downsizing going on and age appears to be a bad thing. I appear to have a target on my back bigger than a bald head with a pimple in the middle of it. I may need a wig, a fitness regime and a forgery of a birth certificate to survive this battle of the corporate generation.

I made the issue a Showstopper, it seemed a good idea at the time, it seemed the right thing to do, a decision of maturity. Apparently not.

Now the corporate mindset has shifted ever so slightly by say 180 degrees. I am expected to be the fall guy, the climbown person, the one to be sacrificed for the greater good, the sacrifical ram; but there is more tricks in this old dog than you can wave a very large stick at.

They don't call me a magcian for my cutting edge swords-in-a-box routine, these swords are blunt for a reason. I have enough cards up my sleeve to make poker a non-risk sport. I wear long sleeves for a reason, and you whipper snapper short-sleeved full haired upstarts do not.

The boys and girls can sing poker face but it took yaers to get these jowls of cheekd that are impervious tp truth and lies. These are jowls of wrath. My innocence has long gone and it iis time to show a middle aged style.

I will fight them in the bureaus, I will fight them in the VIP lounges and I will survive better than a girl on rollerskates.

I have been told that whilst on the way up the corporate ladder, do not step on fingers because when....whatever; well the Bass Pryce corollary is on the waydown I will stamp on a few younger fingers. If I climbdown, I will go down with a few "friends".

Suddenly as much as it started, it ends that age-appropriate knowledge is valued. The boys have run the piechart model of ups and downs, advantages and disadvantages, the boys have come to the conclusion on multiple scenario planning that I was actually right to start with. Climbdown has been mooted to a moral stand of our principles and to hell with the bottom red line. Voices of dissent amongst the lynch mob jury of youth has been muted.

So my colleagues have realised that the blue skies need to be painted that way, rose tinted spectacles need to be bought, otherwise stuff happens, life happens. Bad stuff happens. It happens. Whisper it. Shhhhh.....it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment