Sunday, 6 May 2012

You know you're growing old....

So its come to pass and it is not passing well.

I face disaster of Biblical proportion. Is it raining frogs that cats and dogs appear to be kittens and puppies; are rivers parting at a drop of a sturdy rod; is there a plagues of locusts playing merry hell with the cauliflowers; are first born males seeking to get in touch with their feminine side that surgery is a viable option. So what has brought this religious old testament fervour.

I will tell you.

This catastrophe that will bring a tear to an eye and a wobble to a knee, more than my aging middle-aged body is happy to accept as normal for a man of my age.

I have been passed over.

I have a new boss. I have a boss half my age. I am looking up to a whipper snapper knee high to a grass hopper. A boss so wet behind the ears that a plastic surgeon would probably recommend shifting a tear duct.

He is dynamic, animated, motivated, excelling to the point where arrogance and confidence become a fine line he is not afraid to cross. He instructs me on things. I counsel caution, he sees cowardice.

Brave decisions will be made this night, and there by the grace of some decades there went I.

I made brave decisions once and learnt bravery should be tempered. I learnt too late for a few lost oldies  who foundered on the back of my survival as I succesfully avoided my come uppance. Small mercies for those who left that I got better, I learnt. I drew a firmer line between arrogance and confidence.

Times pass but sometimes it remains the same. The wheel turns and we can end up at the same space, if not the same place.  I have a feeling this may somehow be fitting justice for me.

I hope the Company survives. Let us pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment