There is a one-way thing, I have learnt from getting it wrong many times and that is to get it right eventually.
I have travelled to some forgotten lands that turned out to be quite pleasant, when I thought I should have travelled with enough prescription drugs to keep a few pop stars happy. My blood/sugar levels may even be kept on an even keel, especially when the toilet is not a hole in the ground, hoorah.Now I am in a new foreign land, I am placed in front of the local cuisine with a dread, a menu is like crossword puzzle of poisons, as assorted foreign words probably spell Gull's Eyeball and I don't know. However there is always something on a menu that spells saviour.
Today and as normal, Pryce is rescued by something the natives say is beef. I am not one to argue if curried inner ear is the other non-vegetarioan option. However this brings on board the second big "Ex-pat question", there is the beef question, the big beef question, the big beefy of beefiest beef question. We eat. My host with a knowing nod and an eyebrow raised, which means I am being required to confirm - "Is this the best beef in the world?". I am to confirm. I am being asked to lie.
Far from the maddening cow and contrary to modern thinking, I liked my Fray Bentos. Sharing this thinking with my hosts is a mistake. A big mistake.
My job description, my ex-patriate contract demands no bad mouthing of all things local and that unequivocally includes specifically agreeing with the representative of the host nation that their beef is best. I may actually think the beef is a variant of Mutton-Lamb-tofu-dressing or the most succulent piece of meat that ever touched the Pryce's tonsils. Fray Bentos is off the menu. I nod gravely , I nod with viguor, I affirm that yes...yes this is the best beef in the world, bar none.
Lying over beef is called diplomacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment